Clara Background

Monday, May 28, 2012

Pardon our noise...

When Scott and I were first married, Scott was in the Navy.  We were two young kids starting out our life together, and we had just joined this huge military family.  Scott was stationed in Oak Harbor, Washington.  We loved this place, and we look back on that time with such fond memories.  

On your way to the base in Oak Harbor you would pass by a sign that read, "Pardon our noise, it is the sound of freedom!"  We quickly learned what that meant, Navy jets and their pilots were in the air often, and you would hear that familiar sound of freedom!  It became a cherished sound to me.


Today is Memorial day, and we celebrated by listening to the sounds of freedom at Mount Vernon Memorial Cemetery.  When the jets flew over our heads this morning and I heard that familiar rumble in the sky, tears sprung from my eyes, and I instantly felt gratitude in my heart for this great country that we live in. I thought about the sacrifices that I felt as a young bride sending my new husband off on a 8 month cruise, and then I thought about the ultimate sacrifices that other wives and mothers felt as they learned that the person that they loved would not be returning home.


Flags were everywhere, and you saw veterans of all ages that had come to remember those who had served, and those who had given the ultimate sacrifice.  It felt like the right place to be, to have the opportunity to look these men and women in the eyes and say, "thank you."


I am thankful to those who have served, Scott was in the Navy, as well as, his dad Harry, as well as, my Grandpa Martineau and Grandpa Cozzens, as well as, Scott's grandpa (bops) and Uncle Rodney (who didn't return home) who were in the Army!  We celebrated and remembered those who have passed, and those who are still living.


While we were there, we met up with one of Scott's mom's friends, Louise Armstrong.  She was there remembering her husband Robert, for the years of service that he gave to our country.


Patriotic songs were sung, bagpipes were played, 21 gun salutes were sounded, canons were blasted, speeches were given, prayers were said, and this great multitude of people that were there were one, as we remembered together.  At one point they played all the different songs of the branches of military, you were to stand when you heard the song that represented the branch of military that you were in.  This little old man that was sitting not to far from us was in the Marines.  When his song came on he struggled desperately to stand.  His daughter helped him get to his feet, and as soon as he was standing all the way, he stood and saluted until the song was over.  It was so touching, tears streamed down my face, and then I watched this sweet old man, struggle to sit back down in his chair.  He served, and is still serving by remembering the sacrifices of so many!


The morning ended with a parachuter who came down with a flag attached to him.  The audience was mesmerized as he came down so beautifully and the flag waved gently in the breeze.  


Lee Greenwood said it best when he said, 

"I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA."

Happy Memorial Day!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post Mom. We loved attending that event last year and wish we could have gone yesterday as well. What a good remembrance of what this day is really about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I would have known about that it would have been nice to take the kids to, but I was sick and spent most of the afternoon in bed. Jeremiah's little brother is in the Navy and so we talk a lot with Samantha about where he is and why we worry so much about him, and why he does what he does. I love sharing those conversations with her but it's also nice for her to see that her uncle isn't the only one. I will have to remember to take them next year. Thank you for sacrificing time with your husband so he could protect what we all hold so dear.

    ReplyDelete